Emotional wellness involves many levels of personal wellness, primarily focusing on how you manage and control your feelings. It is how you accept and process your true emotions and the personal that you are because of those feelings. It is also about how you handle the challenges and problems in your life.
Emotional wellness is viewed as the second most important aspect of wellness, after physical wellness. But all aspects of wellness overlap. Studies show that happy people are less likely to get sick or develop long-term health problems, versus people who are always depressed and stressed.
There are many ways that you can improve your emotional well being and you’ll find many options online. But let’s start with five very basic and simple ways to improve your emotional health:
- Meet and gain friends. Good friends are not only important to have when you want to celebrate the good in life, but they can also cheer you up in times of trouble. If you also need someone to talk to, friends are often the first reliable people you to turn to.
- Give yourself time alone. We do not need to constantly have people around us. Sometimes we need to be alone to think over the things that have happened around us. Spending the time alone can make you think about and reflect on events that have taken place, you may are likely to realize a lot about yourself and about the challenges that you encounter in your life.
- Exercise regularly. No matter how busy you are, find a way to spend time getting your body in motion. Spend time in the gym, start running or walking, use fitness programs you find online or via DVD, or even in your video game system like a Wii. People who work out regularly not only look good on the outside but also feel good in the inside.
- Don’t forget to enjoy life. When we are caught up with work, we tend to forget to spend time with the things that are pleasurable to us. Remember, “all work and no play, makes Jack a dull boy”. So spend time with your friends and enjoy. If it has been a while since you watched a movie, then go with friends to the movie theater or have a movie night at your house. If you enjoy being out in the wilderness, plan a hiking or camping trip. Enjoying yourself and the world around you allows you to brush off all the stress that you encounter from work and life everyday.
- Listen to what important people have to say. There are often things within ourselves that we don’t always recognize or accept to be true. Sometimes we need honest opinions from reliable people around us. So take time to listen on what they have to say about you, and allow yourself to process ways that you can change and improve your life based on those observations.